The best way to preserve your haul of chanterelles
At a glance
- Neutral vegetable oil
- Clean the mushrooms. Brushing and rinsing with water is OK.
- Let them air dry at least overnight.
- Chop into even pieces of desired size.
- Add one layer to a very hot huge skillet and add a little oil. Stir frequently.
- This will allow some browning before the liquid exudes.
- Continue to cook over high heat until almost dry.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook until dry and a bit more browned.
- Repeat in batches.
- Let cool.
- Spread out on a hotel pan or cookie sheet and freeze.
- Vacuum bag and label in 1 lb. batches.
In my experience, drying chanterelles loses all of the texture and most of the flavor. Steaming works well but loses much of the flavor.