Tom Kha Hed (Thai Mushroom Soup)
At a glance
- 8 oz. Hericium coralloides
- 8 oz. young Russula xeramplina
- 8 oz. young Hypomyces lactifluorum
- 2.5 C. coconut milk
- 1.5 C. water or low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 6 thin slices fresh galangal
- 2-5 fresh Jalapeno or Serrano chiles
- 1/2 C. sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/4 C. fish sauce (or light soy sauce)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 T. cilantro, chopped
- Clean & chop the H. coralloides into 1" pieces.
- Cut the Russula xeramplina in half lengthwise then slice vertically.
- Cut the Hypomyces lactifluorum into 1/4" x 2" matchsticks.
- Add the coconut milk to a pot and bring to a full simmer.
- Add the H. coralloides and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the lime leaves, cut the white part of the lemon grass into 2" sections and smash with the flat of a knife, thinly slice the galangal diagonally, and slice the peppers into thin rounds (seeds optional).
- Add the stock, lime leaf, lemon grass, and galangal to the pot and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add the Shrimp Russula, Lobster Mushroom, chile, bamboo shoots, fish sauce and lime juice and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro.