Wonderfully rich appetizer!
At a glance
- 3 lb. 2" size morels, in halves
- 3 oz. sweet butter
- 1 lb. wild mushroom stems, finely chopped
- 2 oz. butter
- 1/4 C. white wine
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 2/3 C. bread crumbs
- 1/2 t. dried dill
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1 lb. cooked spinach, drained and chopped
- 10 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Saute the morel halves in butter, trying not to break them. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the mushroom stems in the butter and wine. Set aside.
- Brown the sausage until all the pink is gone, and the meat is well separated. Drain off the fat, and add the sauteed mushroom stems. Simmer together 15 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, dill and oregano, and toss well to blend.
- Add the spinach and cook 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Stir in the cheese and stuff the morel halves making mounds of the stuffing mixture.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm by itself, or with your favorite topping.
We have 14 guests online