Imaginative use of an under-appreciated mushroom.
At a glance
- 4 softball sized firm puffballs
- 2 C. slightly undercooked white rice
- 1 C. chicken breast, cubed small
- 1 red onion
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1/4 C. dry vermouth (or white wine)
- 2 T. fresh tarragon, minced
- 2 T. fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/4 C. grated Parmesan
- 4 foil squares
- Reserving all trimmings, cut off bottom of puffballs to make a small base. Cut off top 25% and hollow out puffballs with a melon baller to make bowls, leaving 1" thick walls .
- Chop reserved mushroom parts.
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute until juices are mostly gone.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add chicken and saute until mostly cooked.
- Add vermouth, herbs, garlic, salt & pepper, saute another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Combined sauteed ingredients, rice and sour cream in a bowl.
- Fill each puffball shell with 1/4 of the combined ingredients and top with Parmesan.
- Wrap each puffball in buttered foil.
- Bake in 375F oven for 1.5 hours. Unwrap enough to expose top and bake another 30 minutes until golden brown.
We have 10 guests online